About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Sunday 10 April 2011

Cormorant (Phalacrocorax Carbo)

Large web feet propel the cormorant through the water.





The cormorant is pretty common in London although I’ve not often seen them in Brockwell park where this photo was taken last Wednesday. They are large water birds often perched by the side of lakes or on rocks by the coast, sometimes with their wings outstretched drying. Unlike most water birds, their feathers allow water to penetrate them so they can dive and swim more effectively this is why they often perch wings outstretched. Don’t confuse with the Shag which is a little smaller and will usually only be seen on the coast. Cormorants look especially large to me when they fly because unlike Herons they fly with their head and neck extended which makes them look like flapping missiles. When you see these birds up close, hopefully you can see this from my photo, their feathers look scaly which,  I find a great reminder of birds evolution from reptiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment