About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)

Mute Swan

I thought I’d continue the theme of large common birds today and write about the Mute Swan. This maybe the singularly most easily identifiable bird in Britain as at this time of year there are no other species to get it confused with unlike the Feral pigeon. They are the largest birds in Britain often reaching over a meter and a half long. They are incredibly powerful and not to be approached too closely, please see the picture in which my dog is being encouraged to stay a respectable distance away. The last month or so will have been a good time to see them with their young (cygnets). The adult plumage is pure white which makes the juvenile’s easily distinguishable as they have dirty grey brown plumage. The Whooper Swan is the only real bird it’s possible to confuse with the Mute Swan as they are similar in size but the bill shape and size are different and it is a winter visitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment