About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Friday 20 May 2011

Ash (Fraxinus excelsior)



There are several species of Ash in Britain identifiable by their different leaflets. They are one of our native trees and can live for an incredibly long time, they have a firm place in our native woodlands often near oaks. Ashes have been recorded with over 800 concentric rings. The Ash photographed is in my front garden and they are all over London, often lining streets or in gardens. Sydenham hill woods is a good place to see them in ancient woodland and the light airy canopy that they provide will often allow other flowers and fauna like bluebell or wood anemone to flourish.Look out for slightly toothed edges to the leaflets and the grey bark often covered in lichen. Ash trees are also great places to find Hawkmoth caterpillars.

No comments:

Post a Comment