About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Monday 16 May 2011

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)


The grey squirrel was introduced to this country at the beginning of the 20th century and is abundant. You’re unlikely to walk through any park or wood without seeing one especially in the warmer months. They don’t hibernate but are less active in the winter. They are larger than the native red squirrel and better adapted to modern surrounding unlike the red squirrel that stick to the treetops in forests and woods solely. They are born bald and with their eyes closed. In forests where they are too abundant they can have a really negative effect on the trees, stripping the bark. They can live up to 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment