About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Iron Prominent (Notodonta dromedarius)

Iron prominent
  Iron Prominent is part of the Notodontidae family of which there are 21 resident British species. The prominent get their name from the tuft of scales on the midline, which stand erect when they are at rest. The caterpillars are usually hairless and may have fleshy growths on their backs. Iron prominent gets its name from the obvious rusty streaks on their backs, which are fainter further north. This particular species tends to prefer birch and alder and may be found in woodlands, hedgerows and gardens. I met a guy on Sunday who had caught this moth in his moth trap and had released it in Amwell nature reserve in Hertfordshire. Apparently setting up your own moth trap is fairly straightforward and can be done properly for around £120. I've been recommended ALS  
A Lepidopterist is the name for a person who studies moths, butterflies and their superfamilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment