About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Monday 4 April 2011

Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)

Pied Wagtail


The pied wagtail is a common bird. They are usually found on smooth ground and short grass, as they like to scuttle about chasing insects. The picture above was taken on the bowling green in Brockwell Park, which is perfect for them. I often see them in supermarket and service station car parks where they will usually be paired up. My RSPB book says they are very territorial at this time of year, even fighting their own reflection but they do usually roost communally. The females are slightly greyer on their back and have a smaller bib. As their name is well given as they constantly wag their tail up and down. They often engage short burst of frenetic flight hunting for insects. The pied wagtail is a subspecies of the white wagtail and usually only breed in Britain and Ireland, where as the white wagtail is more common in the rest of Europe.


1 comment:

  1. Ah! I've always wondered what these birds were. They seem so crazy when I see them, running around in strange circles and going all over the place. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete