About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Thursday 7 April 2011

Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)


Everyone should know this bird as it’s massively common in cities and in rural areas, my Collins guide says their numbers in mid winter swell into tens of millions when the European Starlings come to Britain. They are intelligent characterful birds well known for their ability mimic other birdcalls as well as other sounds like car alarms. They are easily identifiable. At this time of year as they’re very glossy and in flight they dart around raising up and down and to me they look as if their wings are triangular. The eat mainly insects, a lot of garden pests like leatherjackets, the larvae of  crane flies/ daddy-long-legs which is one of their plus points but to counter that positivity, large flocks have been known to decimate fields of corn. There are plenty of them about, you should have no trouble spotting them, this picture was taken yesterday in Brockwell Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment