About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Wood Anemone (Anemone nemorosa)

It’s currently the perfect time of year to see Wood Anemone flower as it’s around their mid flowering season. They grow carpet like in deciduous woodland and I took these pictures in Sydenham hill woods two days ago on the same day I saw the Lesser Stag Beetle (4th April ‘11).  The flowers are incredibly responsive to sunlight opening and raising up as soon as it hits them then drooping and closing again when cloud or evening come round. To identify, they are usually between 5-30cm high, the leaves are divided into 3 segments and only one flower to one stem. They are usually white but you may see them in other colours also. Stunning plants and another good reason to visit Sydenham Hill woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment