About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Monday 18 April 2011

Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus)


This is the consecutive post on animals that make good eating, although I took this photo in the walled garden of Brockwell park and I’m not sure I’d be keen to eat residents of the London Woodpigeon community. This one was feasting on the cherry blossom so perhaps its diet isn’t too bad. Very common bird, I think the colour of the eye is quite a good way of differentiating this bird from the feral pigeon or stock dove. It’s also usually quite a bit larger but this is not a fool proof method of identification as those other birds are often larger than they should be due to their a fast food diet. Woodpigeons can be divided into rural and city dwellers and they’ve developed quite different habits especially concerning feeding and roosting. Rural woodpigeons nesting time peaks a month or two later in July, August, this is due to food availability. Look up and listen to their call on the RSPB website, you may never have known what it was but it will be very familiar when you hear it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment