About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Sunday 6 March 2011

Gorse

Common Gorse - Epping Forest
I saw lots of common gorse when walking through Epping Forest this morning. It's a really pleasant plant to see in the winter when the woods are looking bare as it flowers all winter long. The flowers which are tricky to pick due to the prickly nature of the bush are very tasty in salads. I have seen recipes for gorse wine and it can be added to drinks like tea or beer for extra flavor. Traditionally it has been  used as an ingredient in a variety of medicines and to dye linen and wool. It may stop flowering in summer  until late autumn but usually you can find it in flower somewhere hence the old saying,  'when gorse is out of flower, kissing is out of season'.

No comments:

Post a Comment