About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Wednesday 9 March 2011

King Alfred’s Cake (Daldinia Concentrica)

Found in Brockwell Park Log circle
The first fungi I've written about is very common. Also known as cramp balls and coal fungus it usually grows on dead logs or branches, predominantly Ash or Beech but you may also see them growing on living trees. They are quite easy to spot. They are very hard and inedible but useful in the decaying process of dead branches or logs. When you cut them open they have rather attractive concentric rings. They are usually black or dark brown. There great use is for fire lighting. They make excellent tinder. An ember may be created from one flash of a fire steel and can stay burning slowly within the fungus for a considerable time.



No comments:

Post a Comment