About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Thursday 17 March 2011

Tufted Duck - Brockwell Park

Male Tufted Duck
Tufted Duck's are easy to identify and they are the second most common duck after the Mallard. You should see them on most park ponds in London. The only bird you may confuse them with is the Scaup but that is usually only found in marine waters and lacks a tuft. The tufted duck is a diving bird it usually dives in 15-20 second bursts and has been recorded doing up to 100 dives an hour they usually dive to about 8ft. The east some plant mater, insects and molluscs. They are quite social ducks and enjoyable to watch in the daytime as they are usually quite busy. I counted at six pairs in Brockwell Park today.







No comments:

Post a Comment