About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Thursday 24 March 2011

Cowslip (Primula veris)

Cowslip - Brixton Water Lane
Closely related to the primrose the cowslip also has two types of flower, which produce seeds when pollen is transferred between flowers by insects. Each stem on a cowslip can produce up to thirty flowers per head. There are lots of legends about cowslips that crop up through history. Possibly the most famous is the first cowslip springing from where St Peter dropped the keys to heaven. More importantly than legend are all the uses of cowslip, it can be made into wine or used in salads. Herbalists use the plant to help with chest problems such as bronchitis or whooping cough, it can also be used to treat sleeping problems, headaches and as a diuretic. If you are going to use the roots you must make sure there is an abundance of the plants present in the area before picking. Roots are best harvested in early autumn.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about the cowslip and the photo is beautiful. Thank!

    ReplyDelete