About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
This blog will contain pictures and information from my everyday encounters with nature in London and the surrounding areas. I will log details of the origin of each photograph thus recording what there is to be seen and where it was seen. I very much welcome anyone else who can upload photos and information about nature in London and the home counties. I work freelance in the film industry so have plenty of days off. I hope to update Monday to Friday and once on the weekend posting at around 19.30, I don't post on bank holidays

Thursday 10 March 2011

Ring-Necked Parakeet (Psittacula krameri)

Ring-Necked Parakeet. Dulwich Park.

I thought as it's been a grey day in London I'd upload something colourful. Taken at about 5pm today in Dulwich very near to the large Turkey Oak just as the evening sun came out. These birds are obviously not indigenous to the UK. According to the RSPB they started breeding in Britain in 1969. And their wild existence is as a result of escaping from captivity. They're pretty easy to spot in London, I've seen them in most of the main parks and commons, especially in SW and SE London. Despite being so brightly marked they are fairly well camouflaged when still in a tree you'll probably hear there loud squawks before you see them. They are often in large groups. I've seen them being quite territorial and very aggressive toward a pair of squirrels in a Horse Chestnut in Richmond Park. Their effect on the ecosystem in this country has not yet been quantified but their numbers are growing rapidly and there is surely a price to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment